Thursday, September 5, 2019

BLACK BATTING (HOBBS BATTING)


Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20 Black Batting


I have to confess that I had not ever heard of Black Batting before until I received some in my Island Batik Box in January.

I was kinda leary about it.



I used the black batting in this quilt above (my phone takes better picture than my camera, this is a camera shot).

I have had several questions and concerns from others about using black batting.

So....

Several years ago I was teaching the girls at church (ages 8 to 12) how to embroidery.
So far only two have completed theirs, two sisters.

The oldest sister made a pillow out of hers and entered it in the State Fair and won a blue ribbon.

That being said, she came over to my home to make a pillow.  You should have seen the back of her embroidery....  Oh my gosh.  I am not telling you this to shame the girl.  I was so proud of her for completing the project and being a first timer...well...who expects perfection?
We spent a good hour trimming her back.  I attached the heat n bond to the back to keep the stray threads in place so they would not come through.  It is not easy to explain but we got the tangles down to a minimum.

FAST forward to last week.

Her sister comes in and she wants to make a wall hanging.



 

Trust me, this back looks great compared to the oldest sister.  This is actually not bad.




But.... while I was thinking on this.  I remembered I had some remnants of Hobbs Black batting.


Here is the front.  You can not see a single thread shinning through.

So you see, the black batting hides any colorful lose threads that might be hanging out in your quilt.  Or hides the shadow from the seams that might occur.

It truly is awesome batting and I am so glad I was able to try it out.

My October project is using Hobbs black batting as well.

Have a fantastic day!





9 comments:

Terry said...

I would never have thought of using black batting on anything but a dark project. Thanks for sharing this! :0)

beaquilter said...

What a great idea!

QuiltE said...

Such a cute little embroidery piece and oh how appropriate for young kids in a church group. WOW! black batting under white??? I would never have even considered that, thinking the black would give a greying effect to the white. Are you telling me that it does not? I am totally at a loss here .........

Pink Rose said...

Hi Barb thankyou for telling us about this batting,sounds like it does a wonderful job for the back of stitcheries,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

Kathleen said...

Love that about the black batting!

Jocelyn said...

I have used black batting when I have a quilt that has a lot of black color. It works very nicely.

Gene Black said...

I really like the Black Batting by Hobbs. I am so glad we got it as Ambassadors for Island Batik.

Barbara said...

I had heard of it, but I wasn’t interested enough to try it. Wow, it has good points. Thanks for the review!

works4me said...

I do a lot of Halloween quilts so have been talking of trying black batting for a while now. It never occurred to me to use it to hide errant threads. Thanks for the tip.