Wednesday, July 24, 2019

THE QUILT THAT GOT AWAY FROM ME!


Remember these squares?



56 of  them


\\

I still had a lot of half squares left over but you will have to wait to see what I did with them.


It seems that this quilt just kept growing and growing.

As I was trying to get a backing for it, cut the batting, pin it...Oh my stinking gosh

I was thinking....How did I let this quilt get this big???

It is 80" x 92"

Then after I got it all pinned, I thought....NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE TO 
 QUILT IT!!!!


                                                    What was I thinking?

My long arm is indisposed for now, it is backed against a wall and I can not get to it due to the lodgers in my sewing room.

No worries.....many moons ago I quilted a king size quilt on my domestic machine....I can do this one.

                                        

                                                    Stuff and fluff....stuff and fluff

Took me most of the day to do this quilt.  I would do a row and then go do something else.  I worked in 4" segments and I just did a meandering stitch.  My aurifil thread hung in there, no breakage and I used most of my spool up between this quilt and another one.

I will show you the end results when I get the binding on.



Now I have five quilts to bind.  YEA ME!!!

Notice the grey fabric, that is the only one that is not Island Batik!  Yes, I can use fabric other than Island Batik but I so enjoy using batiks, always have even before I became an ambassador for Island Batik.

I remember when we lived in Samoa when my husband would go off island he would bring me home yards of batiks.  Couldn't get enough of them and I am still the same way.  The brighter the better.

So much has been going on in my home.  Besides having lodgers my husband decided to come out of retirement and then he decided that what he wanted to do was not all that great so he is now in retirement again.  Allergies are horrible for me, my little grandson was sneezing all day today.  I believe we both took turns in the sneezing department.  Poor us.  We did manage to make a pan of brownies during the sneezing....I had to wash a bowl that he sneezed into but we made it through all of that.  Every once in a while I would see his little finger go in the batter, you can't help but laugh.


5 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Barb wow you sure have been busy,can't wait to see the quilts after you finish binding and quilting them,well done.
Lol so much fun with the grandies,mine love licking the bowl or spoon,hope you are both over your sneezing xx

Gene Black said...

Wow! I don't think I have ever done one that big without quilt as you go.

I see some lovely purple raindrops fabric strips. I bought that to use as a backing on one of my quilts. It is lovely.

Calicojoan said...

Can't wait to see what you do with your fabulous blocks! I had to laugh today...actually I really need to learn to read better. I was going to ask about the loggers in your sewing room. Lodgers...loggers, there is a bit of a difference! hahahahaha

West Michigan Quilter said...

You did what on your domestic machine? Yikes. I can't believe that. You are awesome! How did you manage all that fabric on your domestic machine. Maybe we need a tutorial here????? I sure would like to know how you do that.

Snoodles said...

Wow, girl you are amazing!! That big? On your regular machine? Whoohooo! Love, love all the color and texture in those batiks.
Hope your sneezes are done and you’re having still more fun. Aren’t grands wonderful?