Monday, April 1, 2019

READY SET GO!!




The month of April Island Batik Challenge is to make a square (QUBE) baby quilt using the Accuquilt Go Dies.


Look who is playing in my grandson's room and on his bed no less!!



The month of April Island Batik Challenge is to make a square (QUBE) baby quilt using the Accuquilt Go Dies.


Time to take them outside!


Mr. Brown Bear has had enough of the photo shoot!

44" x 44"
Maybe next time I will take a straighter picture???



This is my inspiration for this quilt.

I have had this design made up for several years but last year I made it with Island Batik fabrics.
I kept thinking that it would make an adorable quilt.  I am talking about the hearts that border the runner.

I used the 5" stash Builders by Island Batik, just perfect for cutting with the Accuquilt Go cutter!


  

So when I received the Accuquilt Go Qube, I saw that it had the half squares and I have the circle die (which is not shown nor included in the 8" cube) would be perfect to make the hearts.

Unfortunately, my circle die grew legs and walked off!!  I used the small circle and cut them in half.


I used the rectangles for the 3 rows of 20 each (sewn together randomly)



Here you see the half square triangles with the half circles on top of them.  I glued them down just a thin strip across the straight edge, just enough to keep it in place while I was sewing....and as you can see, I did not take the half circle all the way to the raw edge.  If you chose to you can just use the whole circle.

Anyways, I sewed the half squares together, in this case, ten half squares to a row, 4 rows.

White Island Batik foundation fabric for the half squares as you can see in the picture above or on the quilt.

A two and a half inch strip x 40 inches long for the half circles to be blanket stitched onto.

 After sewing the 2 1/2" strip to the half squares and the glued half circles, I flipped up the half circles and then blanket stitched.  In this case, I waited until I had the whole quilt top together and just blanket stitched through the top, batting, and backing.

For the complete quilt you will need:

A row of hearts (ten each row) 4 rows
A 2 1/2" strip in between each row (six total)
Then a row of rectangles (20 each to a  row)  (3 rows total)

2 1/2" side border
4" top and bottom border

I did something I have never done before and that was use my embroidery designs on my sewing machine to quilt this quilt.  I used the hearts and the curvy line.

This quilt was so much fun but I have to confess, quilting it using my embroidery designs on my machine took longer than actually constructing the top....still fun






I used Hobbs batting 80/20 Bleached Cotton batting




This beautiful Aurifil Thread


Now it is time I go pick up my grandson from Preschool, hope you have an amazing day!




16 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

Soo pretty!

Anita said...

Your quilt is adorable!

Anita said...

Your quilt is adorable!

Carla said...

Love the pattern and the colors. I need more die shapes.

Karen said...

What a sweet quilt! Love how you made your heart tops from half circles - clever. :)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

This is beautiful Barb!! I love the colors.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Barb wow your baby quilt is stunning ,love the design,you are very clever my friend,well done xx

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Adorable!! I agree - very clever to use half circles for the tops of the hearts - ;))

Kathleen said...

Love this baby quilt! What a fun design and how much fun is the accuquilt!

Vicki in MN said...

That is one sweet little quilt!

ShirleyC said...

Very pretty quilt! I love seeing how you use your AccuQuilt cutter.

Calicojoan said...

Just adorable. I love the design and the colors. That's one lucky grand baby!

Snoodles said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for describing the process... lots of inspiration here!

West Michigan Quilter said...

What an adorable quilt!

JJ said...

Love it. The blue is so pretty and your design is great. I am sure the little guy loves it also.

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt! I love the details of the stitching on the appliqué and the row of stitched hearts. And I love the trick of sewing in the straight edge of your half circles. Bravo!