Sunday, January 11, 2009

PROJECT FOR THE YOUNG GIRLS AT CHURCH AGES 8-12



I was asked to help out with a project for the young girls at church during the week. I came up with making a pillow, with a heart in the middle (blanket stitch around the heart) and their picture in the middle. This was suppose to be a Christmas gift for their moms but my husband's mother passed away and well....we just didn't make it for Christmas.

It amazes me how we had about 12 girls, out of the 12, three girls picked this blanket stitch up with ease. One of the girls just flat out refused to do it, another girl never came back to finish hers (so I finished it for her) and the rest, well...they keep trying and that is what it is all about...to keep trying even when it is hard or you don't want to do it. I think they will turn out real pretty. I stippled the materail so the pillows wouldn't have lumps in them, we are using batting scraps because fiberfill is rare on this island. Good to get rid of the quilt batting scraps ... can't seem to throw anything way.

Aren't the girls pretty?

3 comments:

Sara said...

That is really a cute project. I work with the young girls at church too - and we are going to make a pillowcase this year to take with us to camp...therefore they have sewing checked off their list.

And, yes, the girls are very cute.

ChiroMomma said...

WOW! I have a baby and go out of town for 3 weeks and I miss the give away on your blog! Dangit! Maybe next time.

I love this idea. I am the Activity Days leader and am always looking for fun projects. This is too cute!

wishing I had your talents,
Annie

Needled Mom said...

Great project for the girls and a good way to use up the scraps of batting.