Friday, September 25, 2020

A LITTLE CURVE AND TWIST IN THE ROAD!




Jelly Roll Twist

52 1/2" x 60 "


My nieces decided they wanted to make this quilt last Saturday.

I joined in.  As it turned out, it was only me and one niece.  No matter.  This was such a fun quilt to make.  It goes so fast.  This quilt is great for a beginner.

I used Riley Blake"s "Root and Wings" jelly roll.  Free pattern on the fat quarter shop.

You really can get this done in one day and even quilt it if  you don't mess around but I took an extra day to quilt it.



Don't you just love this pattern?


I just knew I had to try this pattern!

Below is the Quick Curve Ruler and the 6" Sew wonderful ruler.


Here are two of the blocks.  It took me all day yesterday just cutting out all 42 blocks.  My hardest problem was finding enough different fabrics.  I used Java Batiks from Inchworm Fabrics, and Island Batiks,  a lot of them I purchased from Hancocks of Paducah.


I know you all will find this hard to believe but my hand always gravitated toward the bright fabrics for the corners.  I guess I have a problem with darks and an addiction to brights.

                         Then this is the MOD ORNAMENT


I made this a few weeks ago.

You can get the free pattern on the Sew Kind of Wonderful site
You use the mini curved ruler for this one.
 
Not only do patterns have curves and twist, so do our lives.  My husband and I put our house on the market.  He spent 2 and a half days bush hogging the property, another day our son and his friend came and helped do a few things around the house.  I started cleaning out and organizing, I took down all of my quilts, trying to make it all a blank slate.  Anways, the twist is, my husband came to me after we got all of this done and before they came to take pictures and said, "Do you really want to sell", I asked him if he did and he said no.  So no we are not selling.  Go figure.   

12 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Looks great and I do like the pattern.

Kathleen said...

Love the quilt you made with your niece and those blocks for Posh Penelope are so much fun! Good that you have a decision!

Needled Mom said...

lol! Sell, no sell.....I’m glad for you. Time to rehang the quilts! I tend to gravitate to the brighter colors too. Those look really nice. I can see that ornament design being used for cute Christmas placemats. Nice job on the niece’s quilt.

Annie said...

Now that everything is clean inside and out, you can put your quilts back and enjoy your “new” awesome looking space.
It’s always fun to sew someone else. Your quilt looks fun. And that new one you’re working on, that is a really fun design. Have fun with it.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

How wonderful that you were able to do a project with your niece. Hopefully sewing becomes a lifelong love for her too. I love bright colors too and those island batiks you used for the Sew kind of wonderful blocks. BTW...your links aren't working......and I think you had said if the house doesn't sell it will be ok.......so OK!

Gene Black said...

Life certainly has twists and curves. I hope the new twist is a happy one. Now you get to re-decorate with your quilts - or not whichever turn you decide to take.

QuiltShopGal said...

How sweet of you to help your nieces make a quilt. I bet the no shows will be so jealous that they'll never miss such an opportunity again. I love your blocks for Posh Penelope. And, thanks for the reminder about the Mod Ornaments (I definitely want to make this as a table runner for the upcoming holidays). Yours is beautiful.

swooze said...

Big sigh!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your quilt and new blocks! And the next time you want to really clean/organize your house - pretend you're selling it again - LOL. But seriously - if it was meant to be - neither of you would be having second thoughts - so enjoy your new blank slate - and rehang your quilts - ;))

myzbarb said...

Thanks for the chuckle! With everything all clean and neat, it must be like a new home again. Love those Mod Ornaments.

Marie said...

Love the quilts and of course the brighter I like! I understand the selling yes then no I have been pondering the same but realize I should just stay put! Have a beautiful day.! Many hugs, Marie

Snoodles said...

LOL You sound like us....when it comes right down to it, we don't want to move anywhere. Love your blocks, and your Mod Ornament is great! I'm thinking now about what Christmas fabrics I have.....