Friday, January 6, 2017

FABRIC BOWL POTHOLDERS MADE EASY


I have had a lot of request for these fabric bowl potholders.

If any of you have made these, you will know that it requires a lot of marking.

I hate marking and it takes so long.

There are a few ideas of marking several at one time but I never mastered that.





So this little piece of cardboard is going to make your life easier (leastways it has mine)

It measures 2" x 1"



After I take my ten inch square and mark a criss cross on it.  You really do need this because you are going to put a piece of 10" batting on a piece of 10" fabric and sew as shown here.  You do this to both sides.  This just helps the batting stay in place.


Before I was marking each piece on all four sides two inches up and one inch over.

NO MORE!!!!

That is a lot of work.

You will fold your fabric in half...



Then I just take my trusty cardboard....place it on the edge of the folded fabric and place a mark up 2" and then to the side on the bottom 1".  Sew from the bottom which is the one inch across to the top mark, making a triangle.

   I know you say...well...Barb you are marking it....Yes I am but I don't have to use a ruler and I don't have to make lines.  Just two simple dots right there at the machine before I get ready to sew it..
                                     
                                             Below is a picture of all four sides done.





 I keep my little piece of cardboard and pen right on my sewing machine....so simple and so easy.  I have found that the measurements are more accurate as well.


Now I am ready to sew them together.  Right sides together....leave an opening to pull through.


I glue the opening shut and now they are ready to iron and top stitch down.




10 comments:

Barbara said...

Fabulous Barb! I did this once, not the easiest way, and never did it again. Maybe I will!

Anonymous said...

wow Barb what a great idea,thankyou for sharing.xx

Gene Black said...

Cool. I may need to try this

Missy Shay said...

I have been wanting to make some of these.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Pretty slick! Thanks for this idea. I'll have to link to you so my readers can see an easier way.

Wacky Woman said...

These are great. Good tutorial!

Cher in Victoria said...

This is slick, makes it so much easier to measure.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great idea. I need to make some of these!

QuiltShopGal said...

Great tutorial. I love these fabric bowl holder and want to use your tutorial to make more. Thank you.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

KaHolly said...

I need to make some of these! Thanks for the tip! You're a genius! XO