Thursday, January 26, 2012

HOW TO MAKE A 28” CIRCLE

IMG_0470

You will need tape (can’t find the regular tape so we are making do), marker, ruler, paper (or you can use the back of your fabric but just use a different marker.

IMG_0472IMG_0473

Three sheets of paper with one cut in half. Tape them together.

IMG_0475 IMG_0476

Flip the paper over so the tape is on the under side. My ruler does not go to 28”, so I start from the middle and measure out to 14” on each side, this will give me 28” width wise.

Then I go length wise, measure 14” out on both sides of the middle.

IMG_0478 IMG_0479

Then I go diagonal on both sides of the middle line.

IMG_0477

After that is done…I put ruler with the 1” or 14” in the middle and start placing dots, 14” from the middle all the way around.

as you see here.

IMG_0480

Now it is time to connect the dots. I have never been known for a steady hand. Could never be a surgeon.

IMG_0482

Now we have all of the dots connected with a complete circle.

Like I said, you can do this on the back of your fabric if you do not have the paper, just use invisible markers.

I did get my quilt sandwiched and pinned yesterday…..boy was that a feat!!

20 comments:

Susan said...

thank you make it look easy but then nothing is that easy for me. lol I am a lefty I do everything backwards. In face I just cut my finger with a rotary cutter and boy is it throbbing now. OUCH

Hugs
Susan

Needled Mom said...

I suppose that might be more accurate than the string??????

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Very clever Barb, but what are you going to do with a 28 inch circle? Something lovely, I'm sure!

MGM

Rhonda said...

Barb, you have figured something out that just blows my tiny little mind. Thanks for the tutorial. You make it look and sound simple.

Joanna said...

Good to know. I'm also curious to see what comes next.

Wacky Woman said...

What a great tip. Now you tell me. I could have used that a few months ago when I was making that monster Moon Quilt. LOL

Vintage Sandy said...

Thanks Barb for stopping by & the nice comments have a great day!
Hugz

Linda said...

Barb, great way to do this. Thanks for the info...

I'm glad you got your quilt sandwiched and ready to quilt. Soon you can mark that one off your list, huh?

Lynette said...

Yeah, I'd have to do something like this, too, to get a good circle. I can never do the string method satisfactorily. It always slips or over-stretches somewhere.

Jeni said...

Very clever Barb...............thanks for the tip

Jocelyn said...

Wow, way cool!! What a great way to measure out a circle for a backing.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Great way of drawing a circle. Hubby and I had a good laugh when I made the circle for my heart table topper. I did the string version and a half circle.

Barb said...

How clever - great idea - thanks for sharing it with us

Sheila said...

Great tip Barb ,you always come up with super ideas.

SewCalGal said...

Great tutorial Barb. I definitely want to give this a try. I do so love your heart table topper, and other circular designs. Thanks for inspiring and sharing insights to encourage me to challenge myself. I look forward to creating a circular project with your tips. Thank you!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Joanne Lendaro said...

Had to read this....couldn't figure out what kitchen object you came up with to make a circle this large!! lol!!

Pamela said...

What timing! Just last night I was doing some serious thinking and looking at Dover books for whole cloth designs and a big circle is probably going to come in handy.

Mary Ann said...

This has something I've never tried before - thank you very much for showing us how! I can imagine using this for a tree skirt...

Danih03 said...

I have a quilt that needs to be sandwiched and basted too. I avoided it last weekend. Dread comes to mind. It must be done to get to the fun part! Thanks for the tutorial!!

Unknown said...

So clever thank you! We have linked up from PatternPile. We loved the Valentines Table Topper Pattern at Etsy.