Monday, March 27, 2017

THIS MONTH - ENGLISH PAPER PIECING - MARCH MINI MADNESS ISLAND BATIK AMBASSADORS

                                   






The Ambassadors were asked to do a paper pieced project or English paper piecing.  I originally did a paper piece but decided to save that one.

Then I remembered I had an English friend in Missouri that taught a few of us how to quilt using English Paper piecing.

She taught using squares but since my piece this month is hexagons, we will go in that direction.

This is how she taught me.

                                                   First she said to save all cereal boxes.

 Then trace your hexagon pattern onto the cardboard.  I only drew three here but back then I used the whole cereal box.  I saved cereal boxes until I was blue.  Infact, I did a king size quilt, unfortunately I do not have the top or even a picture of it.  Then you cut them all out...yep....lots of work.  Now a days you can just order you cardboard hexies.




Then we used masking tape and just taped the underneath.  The only tape I had on hand was the 1/4" tape but you get the idea.  No basting here.



This is what it looks like on the other side.



                                          Now I will show you how I do it 15 years later.



Got out my trusty Accuquilt Go Cutter,  # 55011 Hexagon die, and Freezer paper.  I chose the  3" hexagon.   EASY....you can still order you some hexies online.


Then I chose the fabric I wanted from this awesome Island Batik rolls.  Can I just say that it was hard to decide.
Once the fabric was chosen,  I cut  3 1/2" squares.


With the shiny side facing you start ironing down the sides.


                                  Work your way around the hexie like so.  No basting needed




                                                                        all finished


                  Put one hexie (in this case it is purple) face side to the pink and do a running stitch.


terrible picture, sorry.


Once all of the outside hexies are sewn onto the middle hexie, sew the side seams.  I took out the freezer paper in the middle so it would fold nicely so I could stitch up the side.


 Finished!!!!!   There are tons of tutorials on how to do hexies and English piecing but this is how I do it.


the back side.



Here is my finished project.



After I finished my first hexie I thought...hummmm  I wonder if anything would change if I just took the freezer paper out after I iron the paper to the hexies and just glue the underneath down.


It worked...and what is even better, you can reuse your freezer hexies. 

I see some more of these in my future.

Island Batik is always generous and encourage their ambassadors to be as well so
the cozy is going to the assisted living my mother lives in, they have an auction about every six months.  I am not a pink or purple person as far as home decor goes but maybe one of the lovely ladies might want it?


Here are some amazing designers as Island Batik Ambassadors, do visit their sites this month and see what March madness they came up with.

Nan from Purrfect Spots Designs
Turid from Den Syende Himmel
Stephanie from Quilt’n Party
Pamela from Pamela Quilts
Anna from Ark Angel Creations
Kathy from Kathy’s Kwilts and More
Jessica from Desert Bloom Quilting
Connie from Freemotion by the River
Kate from Seams Like a Dream
Sharon from Yellow Cat Quilt Designs
Tina from Quilting Affection Designs
Jennifer from The Inquiring Quilter
Barb from Bejeweled Quilts
Sally from Sally’s Quilting Corner
Jeanette from Inch Worm Fabrics
Connie from Kauffman Designs
Joan from Moosestash Quilting
Bernadine from Needle and Foot
Bea from Beaquilter
Cheryl from Cheryl Lynch Quilts
Maryellen from Mary Mack’s Blog
Joyce from Hearts Creations
Marlene from Kissed Quilts
Karen from The Quilt Rambler
Marian from Seams to be Sew
Laura from Slice of Pi Quilts
Linda from Inspired Layers
Vicki from Vicki’s Crafts and Quilting
Nancy from Masterpiece Quilting
Carol from FunThreads Designs
Terri from Meanderings Along Lizard Creek
Alison from Little Bunny Quilts
Suzy from Adventurous Applique and Quilting
Jean-Sophie from Sophie Junction
Janet from Whispers of Yore

12 comments:

Rhonda said...

What a great tutorial. I just might try English Paper Piecing!!

beaquilter said...

cute! you need to get the Accuquilt hexagon die ;)

Gene Black said...

Interesting. EPP is not something I want to do, but now I know how at least.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What an amazing post. I remember using cereal boxes for templates for my classes; I always asked the parents to send in various things like that and had lots on hand. I've never made hexies. Nowadays I use the freezer paper for my quilting too and am happy enough with it. Must consider investing in the Acuquilt tool. THanks.

Needled Mom said...

Great idea. It looks so nice too.

Calicojoan said...

We've come a long way baby! LOL!!! Love your topper!

Lynette said...

I like this freezer paper method - will have to try it when I do some hexies. Love the ruffle on the candle mat

Rosa said...

Gorgeous project.I`ve not tried freezer paper method.

Anonymous said...

Love your hexies and thankyou for a fantastic tutorial,well done.

Shari said...

I glue baste on bought templates. Love your piece - interestingly I have that same candy dish. Mine was a gift before I immigrated to Australia.

KaHolly said...

I still use the cardboard like templates. I'll have to try your way! Great tute! Thanks! XO

Maxine said...

Genius! I need to try this! I just learned how to use freezer paper for paper piecing foundation. I love it! No more paper to remove. Freezer paper is AWESOME and there are so many uses for it!