Friday, December 13, 2019

ISLAND BATIK 3D CHALLENGE

This will be my last post as an Island Batik Ambassador.  I have been an Ambassador since 2014,  one of the first of many Island Batik Ambassadors.

I have enjoyed every minute of it.  Sometimes stressfully enjoyed.

I will continue to love and use their products.

I love Hobbs Batting, which I have a huge roll in my sewing room as we speak.

I love Aurifil Threads as well and I appreciate having the opportunity to use all of these products.
I have had an Accuquilt Go cutter since 2009 (guessing here).  I love my Accuquilt Go cutter and do have a few patterns on the Accuquilt site as well.


3D CHALLENGE


Sometime around 1995 (guessing here again), I was given a partially constructed quilt top from my best friend.  Her mother had started it but passed away.  I was very close to her mother.  Her parents were like grandparents to my sons.

At that time I was just dabbling in quilting.

I didn't know anything about the 1/4 inch seam allowance but I went ahead and put this quilt together.  When I got the top finished I realized that one side was longer than the other.

So I put it away in the closet to never bring it out again until two years ago.

I decided to go ahead and finish it for my oldest son for Christmas two years ago.  I knew this would be very special to him.

I don't know what happened to the pattern.

Fast forward to 2019.


At the time of finishing the quilt I made this drawing. I had wanted to make this quilt again.



                                           

Here is the quilt I made using Island Batik Fabrics.  The green and Black/purple fabric is Magical Reef and the turquoise is from Island Batik as well but not from the Magical Reef Fabric line.

I decided that I wanted to make this quilt using the Accuquilt Go cutter.  I used the Accuquilt Go 8" Cube, from that I used the 2 1/2" square, 4 1/2" rectangle, and the half square triangle.  Boy did it make fast work!!!

                                           

When I had finished this quilt for the first time, I noticed something was wrong....OOOPS

I had to take the rows apart, just the rows, the blocks were sewn together right but I had to take the rows apart and flip every other one.  Shewee....at one point I had just wanted to scrap this quilt but Gene Black another Island Batik Ambassador convinced me to continue on.  I knew that if I didn't the quilt would just be in the closet for another 20 years or so.....  I am so glad it is done.

                                                    

                                             I used Hobbs Batting as you see here and Aurifil #2810.

One thing I loved about being an Island Batik Ambassador is that I actually finished things as well as it stretched my imagination and had me doing things that I would not have done otherwise.  It was fun being a part of such a creative group of Quilters, artist, and designers, I will truly miss that but so grateful to Island Batik for the opportunity.

9 comments:

Gene Black said...

You did a great job on this one, Barb. I see lots of depth in it. I am glad I encouraged you to finish it.

I agree about the time being an Island Batik Ambassador: It made me stretch in imagination and designing; but more importantly it made me learn to finish things.
(I still have a stack of UFOs - but the will get finished now.)

Barbara said...

BEAUTIFUL challenge quilt! Plus, everything is always awesome in IB fabrics! The time you spent as an ambassador was surely productive. And Gene can be a motivating inspiration! Now to move on, looking forward to the next phase of your blog.

QuiltShopGal said...

Wowser. Beautiful 3D design. Lovely fabrics too!

Quilting Tangent said...

Wonderful design, great job.

Farm Quilter said...

Both of the quilts are beautiful! You will be missed as an Ambassador, but I get the stressfulness that goes along with being one, with the deadlines to create something would really amp-up the pressure!! You will still have the readers that found you through the IB hops and we'll all be looking forward to the next phase of your quilting life.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congrats on your beautiful finish! I need to use my Go Baby a lot more--it sure is a time saver. And isn't it a great feeling to get something finished from the closet--lol?!?

Vicki in MN said...

Your quilt is gorgeous Barb! It will be fun to see what adventures you go on next;) Happy Holidays Barb!

Kathleen said...

What a great quilt and so glad you persisted and made it right. I love there was a time when you never knew about the 1/4". The challenges and finishes along withe the fabrics and friends were what being and Island Batik ambassador were about and it was a privilege to work with you. Glad we our collaborating on our little project!

beaquilter said...

Great quilt and it's really island batiks BIG loss to not renew you as an ambassador! Hang in there!!