Saturday, August 18, 2018

PART 2 of MAKING A WALL HANGING FROM A COLORING BOOK PAGE

Just in case you have not read the other post, when using coloring book pages, I only use them for my purpose.  I do not make patterns and sell them.


                                              Below is my light box...HA!!! HA!!


When making my own pattern, I like to make the patterns in reverse so it matches the original design and is less confusing when trying to put everything together.  So on the back of the printed out pages
I just trace over everything.  

Normally I trace everything on the back but in this case, I am going to do the cage and Tweety separately.  Just seemed easier to do.  The simpler designs I would just do it all on the back.


Here is the cage.  When I took it down, I tweeked up the lines.


I got out tracing paper for tweety.


You can see through the tracing paper but since I am transferring the designs to Heat N Bond I decided to go ahead and trace over the back side so I can see better.  Don't the eyes look creepy???


Here is Tweety Bird all on Heat N Bond.  I put little dashes for you to see what is doing under another piece.  I hope you can see it well enough.  I try to have about a fourth of an inch extra fabric on the pieces that will go under another fabric.  Gotta cover those raw edges.  


Here is the cage, I debated on whether to make the cage one piece or do the bars separately.  As you can see, I chose to do one piece.  I really didn't want to waste fabric and if I had thought about it ahead of time, that blank space in the middle, I would have cut that out before ironing the heat n bond to the fabric.  Sometimes a gal can't think of everything!!


Now to choose the fabrics.  Of course, no thinking there!!!  I decided to use my Island Batik Fabrics.  Ummmm  Ummmm Good!


Notice how I did not cut the Heat N Bond designs out on the line?  I just go around the design so that when I put it on the fabric I have a better line to cut on and I am only cutting details out once.  Saves time and energy.


Cutting time!!!


Here he is!!!  Ta Da!!

I do have a pressing sheet that is used for applique.  You can even see through it so you can put your design underneath it, your background fabric on top of that, then you can see where to place your applique pieces.  It only works if you have a light background.  In this case, my project was too big for the pressing sheet.

I am in the process of blanket stitching it down.  I have a few hours this morning before I need to be out and about.  The floors are clean, laundry folded.  I have time...YEA ME!!


Hopefully, today I will be done and can show you tomorrow the results.

Have a fabulous Saturday.  Some of you stay cool....it is stinking hot out there!!

6 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

5233583 Bird...so cute!!

Gene Black said...

It is looking great!

Calicojoan said...

Wayyyyy too much fun!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thanks for continuing to share the tutorial!
xx, Carol

Carol said...

Love that Tweety Bird--so cute! Thanks for sharing that great idea!

Snoodles said...

Wow! Great job! And I see that you and I use the same brand of light box! Haha!