This is the challenge for the Month of April.
I went searching though my books and believe it or not, came up with this quilt.
Don't ask me why I chose this one because I could not tell you.
This quilt is from the 1890's.
I do know back then not a scrap was wasted. My mother told me of my grandmother sewing little bitty scraps onto newspaper to get her squares (my mother's job was to take off the newspaper). I have heard that sometimes the person would leave the newspaper on.
This is using Hexagonal units from scraps and the yellow square is the stitch and flip piecing (which I did not do).
This is my version.
Three years worth of Island Batik Fabrics rolled up into one quilt.
This was half of my room, you should have seen my cutting table? (choosing not to be embarrassed)
55" x 55"
I used the hexagonal shape and instead of just randomly choosing scraps and sewing them together, I decided to use strips. One square consisted of four 3" (or less) x 26" strips sewn together and out of that strip I was able to get four hexagons. In this quilt I used Aurifil # 5001 and as usual it did not disappoint, I used the thread to machine piece and to quilt it.
I also didn't use the stitch and flip method for the center squares. I cheated and just blanket stitched them on using Aurifil thread. Hey, it works, (he who cast the first stone)...(smiling).
To me this was a fun quilt because I loved seeing all of the wonderful Island Batik fabrics come together.