Wednesday, June 29, 2011

GOING GREEN!!!

I just can't stand to throw things away...and so...several times as I was cleaning my sewing room I thought, I really should throw this worn mat away. It is a cheapie from Walmart, I used it when in Texas with my son....eventually it was hard to see the correct measurements. So.....I remembered a long time ago reading how someone saves their old mats for the inserts in bags. This thought always came to mind when I was tempted to throw it away. But I also felt I would never use it.




Wrong!!!!!!! Remeber the screen bag from yesterday's post? It said to put cardboard in the bottom with a slip cover. I have always thought carboard would not last and well.......I am doing the dance.....

An advantage of using this mat is the measurements are on it already. I just needed a 4" x 16" piece. Easy .... Easy..... Got an old trusty pair of non sewing scissors (I said that so you would not gasp)....and cut away!
This is all the fabric I had left.....
So I put a two inch strip on each side.... with 3 inches in the middle. Didn't need the 2 inches on each side......I don't get paid to think.....that is my story. Haven't you ever heard someone say "What were you thinking?" and my answer would be.....duhhhhhhh I don't know!!!
Got a little glue stick, glued one side to the back of the mat, and then turned the other side under and gled it to the fabric that was glued to the mat and then slipped stitched that puppy! Aren't glue sticks wonderful?
Here is the end results all snug as a bug in it's new home!
Now....this is to my mother...you want the bag...you have to come and get it!!!! HA!!!!!! Laughing all the way to the beach!!!





Once again, the Bean N Read blog hop is going on and it is the third day so just go to my side bar and click away. Tomorrow is my day so be sure to come by, I can't wait to give one away!

33 comments:

JustCindy said...

I agree with you that there is no way cardboard could last. What a wonderful use of the old mat. Let us know when your mother arrives. lol

Donna said...

Great non-thinking! Were I your Mother, I would make special plans to come get this bag. I would probably take back the stunning red pot you showed us a few posts ago (ha! ha!) Happy quilting!

Gene Black said...

Look out, Mama is coming and she is gonna give you a dose of hickory tea!

Crispy said...

What a great idea!! I have a BIG mat that I broke but haven't had the heart to toss. I see some cutting in my future :0)

Crispy

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Great idea! I'm sure your mother can't wait to get her new bag :)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Since I'm taking the kids to the beach next week, I'll be stopping by to get this today BEFORE you post it to your mom! :)

I love it and if I had any confidence in putting bags together, would try to duplicate it. However, too little time before the beach and too little confidence means I get to drool over yours!

Hope all is well.

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a wonderful way to use the old mat!!

Barbara said...

How resourceful and clever! Great idea!

Deanna said...

Very clever. I am about to need to replace my mat, and I will remember this.

Debi said...

Fantatic idea, yeah for recycling!

Jocelyn said...

Great idea Barb. My first mat did not have numbers or markings. Uh, is that dating how long ago I started quilting??

Mary L. said...

Great idea. Love the bag.

Rhonda said...

You are amazing and a wonderful sharing person.... Thank you!!!

Wacky Woman said...

Clever girl you!

Ruth said...

I have heard that idea before, but never did it. Come to think of it, I have a bag with a cardboard piece in the bottom and I could switch it out with an old mat hanging in the garage. I just check my purse, and it has cardboard in it too, so it will be changed when we get home! Thanks for the reminder!

Sandy said...

Your screen bag is darling and the bottom is very nifty!

Needled Mom said...

Great idea, Barb, and you made it look so pretty too. It will definietly hold up better than cardboard.

Diane H said...

Well, I'll be! Thanks, Barb. I've never heard this tip before.

AnnieO said...

Clever you! It looks terrific with the two different colors and will definitely last ages :) Hope your mom comes and gets it!

sewfunquilts said...

Great use of an old mat...

Sheila said...

Aren't you the clever one , great idea and that will definitely last!

Frog Quilter said...

You are SO SMART. Great idea.

Pokey said...

Job well done, glue sticks and non fabric scissors, too! :-]pokey

West Michigan Quilter said...

So clever. I'll have to keep that in mind as my board is really getting worn. Thanks for sharing.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I never did understand why they said to use cardboard. Must have been a guy because any women who uses a bag would know better lol.

Myra said...

Love the bag/colors! Great idea with the old mat! 8-)

Wendy said...

Great idea......I have one of those mats that I used a long time ago.....

Susan said...

What a great use for an old cutting mat! Fantastic idea!

Linda said...

Great use for these old mats. I also make quick ironing/cutting boards out of them to take to retreats. I put a thin board with batting on one side and glue the old mat to the other side...If I lose them or leave them at retreats, no worries... Thanks for the idea.

hetty said...

What a great idea! Clever you. I usually use plastic canvas for the bottom of my bags. But that is getting more and more difficult to buy.

Lynette said...

hehe :D You make me laugh (laughing all the way to the beach). What a great idea! Thanks for sharing, and just in the nick of time as I was about to replace an old mat and would have tossed it out.

Mary said...

Love the screen beach bag. Good idea to use the blue mat for the bottom.

QuiltSue said...

That's such a clever idea.