Thursday, January 18, 2018

HEART ATTACK DAY # 4 - ARE YOU STILL WITH ME? TWO TUTORIALS - CANDLE MAT AND HOW TO MAKE A CIRCLE


There are a few die hards that are hanging in there for my Heart Attack Week and for that I want to thank you.

                                                                 You bored yet?

             Here we have a cut little Candle Mat or Topper.




Using my Accuquilt Go cutter, gorgeous Island Batik Fabrics, and aurifil thread for the blanket stitching.




I had to improvise on the fabric, I didn't have any fabric big enough for the back ground fabric so I just sewed three pieces together.  


Are you Ready?



You will need for this project a 12 1/2" square of fabric.  I would suggest that you do it with paper first just to get your footing.

As you can see above I use Freezer paper.  They were having a sale on it after deer season one year and needless to say I have more than one box.


There is nothing methodical about me, I just ripped off a piece that I thought would be big enough.

Fold in half.


Half again, so you have it in fourths.


Take and flip the top corner over to the side corner.


You get this with a nice point.


Then you place it over your heart shape on the Heart Go die.  I don't know if you can see but I have the outline of the heart on the side.  You do not want to go over the sides of the die or you will just get eight cut out hearts.


Here is a better picture....You can see the actual cut out.


Now for the center of the heart.  On the go die there are three hearts.  You want the small heart but next to it is the medium heart.  See how I outlined that medium heart.  You do not...and I repeat, you do not want your mat to cross over to that medium heart.

OR


You get this.......



Or THIS     

Do you hear me sobbing....I thought I had the die mat away from the medium die.



I love this one.....................I was thinking of maybe putting fray check on it and making it anyway.

Or if there anyone out there that would like this?  If you want it speak up and I will send it to you.





So here it is all spread out.



Now all you need to do is make the circle for it to go on.

The actual cut out is about 12 1/2"  but the background is 14"

HOW TO MAKE THE CIRCLE

The circle that I am going to show is is going to be 8 inches in diameter.

The math is pretty simple, has to be for me to get it right.  If you want a 14" circle you will just divide in half and get seven....so any circle size you want, just divide in half for your marking measurement.

Fold the paper (fabric) in fourths.

Since I want an 8 inch circle (you will want a 14" circle in diameter, this is just for my demo), I want to cut the eight in half, which is four.

So I want to measure four inches on the side as you see below.


Now the bottom of the ruler is going to stay in that corner, you will pivot across the top.


As you pivot, you will leave a dot.


Pivot and dot all the way across to the other side.


Once you have gone to the other side you will join your dots.  Or you can just cut from dot to dot.


Now you are going to cut the line but I have learned from experience that you need to leave a little dog ear at each side.  If you do not, sometimes the sides will make a V inward.  You can always take away fabric but you can't add to it.


Once you have it laid out you can just cut the dog ears off.

Now you have everything you need.

Heart cut out.
circle background fabric.
Batting 
backing.

Sorry I don't have any pictures for the rest.

You will lay your cut out on top of your circle.  

I love using fusible but the fusible would make it to thick for my go cutter.

Just glue the top and then go around and glue the bottom.

Quite simple.  You might get a pucker here or there but nothing earth shattering.




After it  is glued down, you can either blanket stitch around it now or do what I like to do and blanket stitch through all layers, top, backing, and batting.

Be sure to have the batting and backing just a little bigger than the top.

Quilt as desired.


Bind it and you are finished. 

 I am here to tell you that you can have this whipped up in no time.

Today my gift to you is the tutorial.

The mistake cut out, which I love (if anyone wants it, just say so).

Then I am going to give away this little mat as well to say thank you for coming by.

Just because you have won a pattern once doesn't mean you can't win again.

-----------------------------

The winner of yesterday's pattern is


Blogger Kansas Kay said...
I can see why this pattern is a favorite! The border is especially nice! I would like to win the pattern! Thanks for the giveaway.

17 comments:

Gene Black said...

I don't need/want to win - but I did want to say thanks for the tutorial. The "how to make a heart circle" is an idea that I want to play with.
Thank you!

Darlene S said...

What a great design and excellent tutorial. Such a beautiful heartfelt table topper too! I definitely need to give this a try with my heart AccuQuilt die. You are so gosh darn creative.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Barb, as always another stunning project and clear tutorial. I would take your oops in a heart beat and hang it on my wall for all the world to see. Or at least my YouTube followers lol. Could it be fixed with a piece of fusible underneath the cut or maybe an applique on top? Sometimes I just don't want to deal with an oops anymore and prefer to just pass it along to someone else.

I love your circle tips. I always have that little V and never could figure out why. Now I know how to avoid it. Thanks!

Barb said...

Thank you for the tutorial—I love the cut out you made!

works4me said...

No, I am not bored. I am enjoying your different heart quilts. This is another really nice one, and I appreciate your tutorial.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

QuiltE said...

Congratulations Kansas Kay!

Oh no, first heart attacks, and now you are cutting off dog ears!! :) Good suggestion, as I have made circles in the same manner, but never had that aha moment to avoid the "innie" indentations at the fold line.

Oh I like this one (she says yet again!) ... Appliqued to the right fabric, one would be going bug-eyed seeing the two different designs and not sure which it is! Love those types. OK, I am not so shy as to say, I'd be glad to adopt your orphan ..... or win the ready-made mat!

You're the best Bejeweled Barb! :)

kc said...

Oh, man, I could hear your heartbreak! That IS a pretty circle of hearts.I like your idea of fray check and use it anyway - it is too pretty to just scrap it! I love it, even with the slit, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! Your completed mat turned ) out pretty too! That tutorial was very clear and I loved your tip about the dog ears. I've been using that method (or a similar process with a string (but that always stretches) for years, but I never thought to make dog ears!! VERY clever!

Hope you are staying warm!!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Me, too!! I agree with ALL of the comments above - and would be more than happy to take the "Oops" off your hands. I love all things "heart" - ;))

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I love all your heart projects! <3

Needled Mom said...

I love the secondary pattern the hearts create. The colors are so pretty in this one. Thanks for the tutorial.

Tangos Treasures said...

Thanks for the tutorial sadly I don't have a Go! Cutter!
Been loving all these hearts!!
And loving that I can post comments here again!! Wahoo!!

Sheila said...

I don't have a go cutter but do love hearts ❤

Linda said...

Your heart project is beautiful, so sad for the slit in the first one please try to repair it!

Kathy E. said...

I've seen this sweet table mat before and have admired it! I'd love to put your "mistake" to good use and make one of my own! Put my name in the draw please, Barb! Thanks!

swooze said...

So cute!

jrquilts said...

so many cute ideas never enough time

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

What a cute mat. I agree with Mary. I like the secondary pattern the hearts create.