Saturday, June 18, 2016

MODERN QUILTS - ISLAND BATIK AMBASSADOR CHALLENGE FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE


I have to say that when we were told that

the Island Batik Challenge for this month was

Modern Quilts!!


I was perplexed!!!

Just what constitutes a modern quilt?

I searched the internet

Pinterest

Asked Friends

Family

and still couldn't come up with anything.

I had several ideas but nothing seemed right.

So here is what I came up with

"FREE SPACE"




I used a Crystal Cove Charm pack by Island Batik and
eight 10" squares of Desert Rose by Island Batik.
I also used my accuquilt go cutter and the Circle Die #55012
Used Fantastico #5144 thread by Superior Threads for the blanket stitching, they are having a sale on their fantastic threads as we speak.

To be honest, I was not even sure about this and was worried I was wasting my Crystal Cove charm pack.

Even when I was quilting it I was not sure.

But....

and I say But....

when I put the binding on.....

all my worries faded away.

I am hoping to make a quilt out of this one day

not anytime soon but one day.

I think I need to go back to Samoa to be able to sew and blog like I used to.  Life tends to be quite busy.

I have done another Sun Bonnet Sue quilt  Samoan Style



Here are the other Island Batik Ambassadors who have posted their Modern
 Quilt for the month




14 comments:

beaquilter said...

it looks great and love the sunbonnet sue quilt too

Gene Black said...

I think you hit above the mark for modern. I love it. It is different and very fun. I have a quilt pin basted that has some Samoan fabrics in it. One of the ladies that was helping pin it said "I love that part, it looks Hawaiian" I told her it was Samoan, but definitely an island print. When I finish some other things I will get it quilted.

Jocelyn said...

Great job!

Needled Mom said...

Wow....that looks great. I love how the circles seem to float. You Sunbonnet Sue is super cute too.

Marjorie said...

I love both your quilts. The Island Batik Challenge is just stunning . You are a wonderful designer and quilter.

Barbara said...

There you are! Creating but busy and not blogging as much. Just as long as you show us what you've done every so often. I'm the same way, slowing down a bit. Anyhow, a question, are the circles appliqued onto the quilt. I LOVE it! I also love your Sunbonnets. Are they machine or hand appliqued?

kc said...

Stunning use of your charm pack, no worries! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

suemac said...

Love the table runner. It is very fluid with all those circles.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Gorgeous as is your Sue block.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your free space quilt!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful Barb!

Snoodles said...

You hit it right out of the park! Awesome!

KaHolly said...

BINGO! It's perfect, not to mention - beautiful! Well done!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I like the swirlies. Great use of the circle cutter. Your Samoan Sues are adorable.