Wednesday, March 7, 2018

TRY A TECHNIQUE ISLAND BATIK CHALLENGE






                                            Image may contain: text
This month we were asked to try something new, different, something we have never tried before.

There were some ideas  that I found and didn't know how to do but one day in my in box I found this from Missouri Star Quilt Co.





It looked so interesting that I thought I would give it a go.  I have not done reverse applique before, nor do I think I will make a habit of doing it again.  It isn't that I didn't like it, it just is not my favorite choice.

As I have said before, I was born to the wrong family, I am an island girl for sure.
.



I decided to make the top of the pineapple in oranges and yellows to represent the sun.

The black is Paisley Dots by Island Batik and Island Batik scraps.

I had originally planned to make this a quilt but since I have spent so much time on it thinking, scraping ideas, thinking some more that I just decided to get her done....time is a wasting!!

I also did not use batting, I am sure it would look and hang better with a sleeve and rod.

Of course, you have to size your pattern.  I should have taken it to the print shop but decided to just resize it to 125% and then to fold it in fourths and do a fourth at a time at about 170 percent.  Then I taped it all together.

For the life of me I can not find my pictures.  I know I took pictures.

Also...the pieces I cut out, I numbered them and ironed them onto a piece of fabric making another pineapple but I didn't like the way it turned out so I scrapped it (only the pieces not the backing fabric).

I am excited about next months, it is taking a vintage quilt and redoing it, making it your own.

Thank you Island Batik for stretching me....I kept sending off smoke signals.

9 comments:

Jennifer Schifano Thomas said...

It sounds like it was quite a challenge! I love the results. Have a fabulous day!

QuiltShopGal said...

What. What a gorgeous design and so perfect with these beautiful IB fabrics. Personally, I love reverse applique' but rarely do it. This project certainly inspires me. Brings the island girl out in me too! Great job. #CreativeGoodness

Gene Black said...

That is interesting. I may have to try some reverse appliqué like that

Kathleen said...

This is a great quilt. Nice job - I hate when I forget to take pictures.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I loved watching Rob work through his pineapple quilt. I added it to my need to make list right away. Of course your pineapple needs a touch of island life to represent you. I think it would take me awhile to come up with a technique I haven't tried too.

KaHolly said...

I love trying new things! But I’m not sure that technique would appeal to me. Your pineapple is precious, however. I like the colors you chose.

Tangos Treasures said...

That looks great!!

Barbara said...

Hi Barb! Feels good to be back in blogland, had to create a new blog to move along. Come visit. I have never done reverse appliqué either. Perhaps someday. For now, I’m still keeping things easy. Can you believe my hand surgery is still healing? Must be my age, everything takes longer. Lol!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Your pineapple is fabulous. Well done on seeing it through. It sounds like you are keen on next month's challenge, I can't wait to see what you do. :)