Tuesday, December 5, 2017

TABLE SCRAPS

When I think of table scraps I think of the food that is left over that goes to the dog or chickens.  Better yet, if there is enough food left over for a meal I will freeze it and pull it out later when I don't want to cook and my husband is hungry.

As you can tell, we are not talking about table scraps in the literal form but in the form of using our Island Batik Scraps to make a table topper, runner, etc.

Personally, I love to dress up my tables. bureaus, dressers, end tables.  This is where my color comes in because I am basically a neutral person (I know, I make some pretty loud items). 
I tend to gravitate towards the louder side of life.

That being said....  Here is my Table Scrap



Made from my Island Batik Scraps.





                                                              I decided to make a dish mat

I know you are thinking  "Barb that is not a table topper".  You can use it as one but when I think of table scraps I think of doing the dishes.  Why not have something fun on your counter as you do so.

In fact, I had made a little dish mat for a friend and when I was visiting, she had a few forks and baby bottles on hers and I thought, wow, that actually looks nice.



I took a 17" x 15" piece of fabric for the backing, rounded the corners after all the fabric was sewn on.
Then added 2 layers of batting.


As you can see I started from the middle with one piece of fabric and did the quilt as you go method by putting another piece of fabric right side down on top of the middle fabric and sewed down one side. .

I just continued doing this all the way down one side of the mat and then from the middle out on the other side.





                                                                   Here it is finished

                                                     
                                                                    with the binding on.



                                         Added a little Aloha with my Accuquilt Go flower die.

                                             Now if my little dish mat doesn't fit the bill.......




Here is a round topper, you can't see the metallic threads but this topper just glitters away.

This  topper is made with my Christmas Tree die and my Accuquilt Go cutter.

The Tree fabric is scraps from the "Alpine Jingle" line .  I have been working on my Island Batik project for January and just borrowed some scraps from it.




Here is a little candle mat, I call kissing reindeer using my Accuquilt Go cutter and reindeer die.

Both the Tree and the reindeer took a 13" square of gorgeous Island Batik fabric and yes, I did raid my scrap bin for the reindeer.

It is amazing what one can do with a few scraps.

I personally can't wait to see what the other Island Batik Ambassadors make and will try to post some of their things as time permits.

12 comments:

QuiltShopGal said...

Wow, what beautiful projects. I can't get over how lovely your mat is made of just scraps. Of course that flower, in batik, just makes it pop. Total #CreativeGoodness.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Gene Black said...

Cool ideas. I didn't realize the round topper was Christmas trees until I read the text.

teachpany said...

These are great! I am thinking of doing a dish mat, too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Barb,wow what a wonderful idea using your scraps to make a dish mat,it looks fantastic and omg how cute is your tree and reindeer toppers they look awesome,well done my friend xx

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Nice table toppers - very pretty. I'm with Gene - I didn't see the trees at all - I saw a "sun" with 8 rays and 3 little hearts radiating out along each of the "rays". Good thing I read the text - LOL - ;))

P.S. I think the first photo is missing a "p" - ;))

Suzanne said...

Love all your projects!

Needled Mom said...

Those are the best table scraps!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your projects. That QAYG method is great. I love your colors too. Not too bright for me. Those kissing reindeer are so cute. I have a Cricut. Maybe if I could figure out how to work it I could do that too. LOL

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

A few weeks ago I was looking at my drying mat and I was wondering if I could jazz it up a bit. I remembered that you made some a couple years ago and now look you're making more. I was wondering how they have been holding up for you? Do you prefer the two layers of batting instead of a towel? I think it would be fun to change my drying mat based on the seasons or my mood.

KaHolly said...

You are a scrap master!

beaquilter said...

great toppers!

Lesley said...

What a great mat! Love the idea to use it as a dish mat. Beautiful projects!