Monday, October 9, 2017

ART WITH FABRIC BLOG HOP

                                       

                                               
One thing I have learned from doing these Art with Fabric Blog hops is that it is so fun to stretch yourself with fabrics.  There are so many talented people out there and it is so fun to see what each person comes up with.

I love blanket stitch applique, that is my passion.

I love Island Batik Fabrics they allow me to blend if I need to blend, they have very little fraying, the range of their colors is simply wonderful.



When I saw this young girl, her name is Emily, posing with this picture she created....something just stirred in me.  I thought to myself, I think I can make that with fabrics.

I know this young girl and knew she would love to have a quilt like her picture.

                                                      Image may contain: 1 person, smiling
                     So...................out comes my trusty Island Batik scraps and the fun began.

 I used the blanket stitch method to attach the fabrics to the background of this quilt.

Before I blanket stitched I use elmer's glue sticks to adhere the shapes to the background fabric.  I was able to glue the shapes down and if I was not happy able to pull them back up and reapply....works great.


It is not exactly like hers but close.



I think she loves it.

I asked her if she had a name for this but neither one of us can come up with one.

Maybe one of you can help us?

Thanks Alida for letting me join you again this year.

Here is the schedule....enjoy!!


Monday, October 9th, 2017

Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 

Wednesday, October 11th, 2017 

Thursday, October 12th, 2017 

Friday, October 13th, 2017 




20 comments:

Gene Black said...

You did a great job of interpreting the artwork into fabrics.

AlidaP said...

Emily is a great artist and I absolutely love that you reinterpreted her piece and gave it back to her! That is a tangible reminder about how art can link us to each other and help us connect! Thanks for sharing your talent as part of the blog hop!!

e said...

What a great inspirational piece and background story. I'm sure your interpretation will encourage Emily to continue pursuing her "art". Thank you so much for sharing this. I am truly inspired.

Quilt Art Design said...

Its lovely! Really interesting.

quiltedfabricart said...

If I hadn't read your post I would have thought it was a Picasso! She has some talent as do you for making it into a fabric art piece.

Nancy J said...

Lovely art, and a title " The world through different eyes"?
I see a stylised map of US, maybe Canada, or the UK, maybe somewhere also a long way further south, and black lines to show divisions elsewhere.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

I love your quilt - the colours and the forms are just fascinating. You have done a great job interpreting Emily's art, I hope she will feel both privileged and encouraged as she looks back on these moments.
I see a giant pink mama bird with yellow wings, closed eyes and a green hat feeding a worm to a baby bird. A bit in the style of Woodstock from the Peanuts cartoon. But I don't see it so much in Emily's original, so I am not sure that will help you with the naming. Thanks for such a great contribution to the hop. :)

Tami Von Zalez said...

It should be called "The Amazing Whale's Tail."

Wendy said...

Both her art and your quilt are wonderful!Reminds me of a modern day Picasso, I would call it "Dreams"

Betsy said...

That is so creative Barb.

Rhonda said...

This sounds very exciting. I'll have to take a look at all of the blogger!!!!

Patty said...

Great quilt!

sanchesginger@gmail.com said...

It is very interesting to observe those things to which a person has talent, essay writing I am also very inspired by such meetings to create my own projects.

West Michigan Quilter said...

You did a fantastic job. I love your quilt. I bet that little lady is thrilled too!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Barb. The quilt looks great. Your inspiration piece is great. She did a great job!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I adore your inspiration for this piece! She must be ecstatic, having it made into a quilt. How nice of you to do that. So sorry I missed participating in the hop this time. It always pushes me. I too love Island Batiks. In fact, I'm an Ambassador for them!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Emily has the potential to become an amazing artist! Your quilty interpretation is wonderful. I'd suggest...."And what do You see?" as the title. because I saw snake heads being charmed at first and previous commenters saw the world and someone else a whale's tail.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

That is very well done! I think it looks just like her picture - good job!

Frog Quilter said...

Vangoe (sp) unleashed.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful thing to do. You are both so creative....this will stick with her for years!