Thursday, September 21, 2017

FINALLY FINISHED MY NINE YEAR IN THE MAKING SCRAPPY KING SIZE QUILT.....YEA ME!!!! BLOGGER'S QUILT FSTIVAL


As I have mentioned before, I started this quilt in America Samoa.  I am guessing it is about nine years, thought it was ten ....



I use my Accuquilt Go cutter for the flowers and vine.


I had thought I would give this to one of my sons but now that I have it finished and have enjoyed looking at all of the squares.....  I think NOT!!!  

It has been so fun as I was sewing seeing all of the fabrics I have used over the years.

I decided since I posted this and a nudge from a comment that I would enter this in the 





MY NEXT KING SIZE QUILT

This quilt is very near and dear to my heart.  I was close to one of my friends mother.  Even after  I was married and had my first two kids we would go and visit  my friends mother and father.  They were grandparents to my oldest two sons and later the whole brood.
My friend's mother, Sue passed away about twenty years ago.  When my friend saw that I was trying my hand at quilting she gave me some UFO's of Sue's.  This is one of them.  Unfortunately, I did not know too much about quilting so my seams were a little wider than hers but it still turned out nice.

So.....making a short story long, I am going to finish this for my oldest son for Christmas (hopefully).



27 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

You should enter this nine year quilt in the Bloggers quilt Festival over at Amyscreativeside blog. Entries are welcome until sunday...i think. Your quilt is gorgeous!

julieQ said...

Congratulations on your finish...and your next one coming along too!

quiltingbydawn said...

Nice finish! It is hard to part with quilts that you put so much time into. They become part of you.

Rhonda said...

I love your nine year old quilt. A finish is a finish!! I also love the second project. It's a great optical illusion. Your son will love it.

beaquilter said...

awesome quilt!

Ariane said...

I love this scrappy quilt. It is gorgeous and fits so well on your bed. I would not want to give it away either. It's definitely a keeper.

Gene Black said...

Wow...the nine-year quilt is stunning. I see some special Samoan fabrics in there. No wonder you decided to keep it for yourself.

Quiltblocksandmore said...

The applique really adds to the quilt quite nicely! Congrats on a 'long time in the making quilt' finish.

Barbara said...

This is a second try at posting a comment, argh. I always love scrappy quilts, the memories they bring, and the incredible joy in looking at them. It never gets old. Yours is absolutely stunning, Barb!

SarahZ said...

YaY for entering this wonderful quilt in the Bloggers Quilt Festival! And yay for keeping such a masterpiece for yourself :) I love it!!!!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It is amazing!!!! I love quilts like this. Good for you!!

Jocelyn said...

Conflagrations! A great finish.

Frog Quilter said...

Love it! Yay for you.

Lesley said...

Congratulations on this stunning finish. Wow! Gorgeous!

Ann said...

Your quilt works so well with the inner border you added. That white background demarcates the center and outer border beautifully and showcases your lovely floral vine. Congratulations. I'd keep this one, too. They can always inherit it... some day in the far distant future. :-)

Needled Mom said...

Yeah, Barb. That looks wonderful and I am sure it is a thrill to see all of the fabrics you have used over the years.

West Michigan Quilter said...

I wouldn't give it away either. This is a stunning quilt! Keep it and enjoy its beauty and all your hard work. Great job!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray!! for a super scrappy quilt finish. LOVE it!!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Oh, my goodness. lots of pieces in this one. I agree, you should keep it for yourself and use it. It's beautiful!

straythreads said...

Beautiful!! Love the scrappiness of it and 9 years isn't so terribly long for a quilt

Unknown said...

So worth the wait, it's beautiful. I love the colors and yes, you should keep it!!!!

Daffycat said...

I love it! Well done you!

Kat Scribner said...

This quilt is most beautiful. I always love a touch of applique, it softens the geometry of all the squares. Just a gorgeous piece.

Sylvia Anderson said...

There's a lot of love and memories in that quilt, and I think you are smart to keep it for yourself. It's so pretty and happy and makes one feel good to look at it.

Snoodles said...

WOW!!! Just wow! Awesome finish....as a king bed owner, I know just how big that really is! Beautiful!

KaHolly said...

What a finish! Well done! Your next quilt will be a beauty, too, with lots of sentiment attached. Your son will love it!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations on your finish! It's a beautiful quilt and so special. I love that your loved one made some of the pieces.