Wednesday, August 16, 2017

QUILT AS YOU GO ISLAND BATIK AUGUST CHALLENGE (QAYG)

                                          

                                            As stated above, this month is QAYG challenge.

We have some amazing Island Batik Ambassadors, we even had a few do their QAYG on their longarm, can you believe that?

Here is mine


Since the challenge said 36" x 36" or larger, I cut out the backing and batting at 36" x 36", sometimes life calls for just doing enough.
                                                                     


                                          I found this Bumble Bee in Quilt World, April 2008.


 I blanket stitched through all three layers of fabric at the last.  I like doing this in a lot of my toppers and wall hangings, saves on quilting and time.

I think seeing this now, I would have done things differently.  Trust me, this sat for days.


I did the flip and stitch by taking my 2 1/2" strip and placing it right side down and stitch.
Then I flip it over and iron down.



             Sorry for the horrible picture.  I continued to flip and stitch the top and bottom.


As you can see I just continued going around the square, doing the sides first, then top and bottom...in that order.



I was at this point two weeks ago.....it sat at the thinking stage.  I had so many ideas but today I said...just DO IT!!!!  GET ER DONE!!!  So I threw away the ideas in my head and just continued on.


I used several greens for the binding, a few parts of this binding were left overs from other quilt bindings.

Notice this wall hanging below.  This is one example where I blanket stitched through all layers of the quilt to save on time and had to use very little quilting.


Here is another one of my toppers that I blanket stitched through all layers of fabric so that it needed very little quilting.  I actually like the look on the back when I am done.  This topper is 30" x 30".



Now on to Sept Challenge, we are having a blog hop so be sure to visit.


I think I bit off more than I could chew for this challenge but I love how it is turning out.  Actually it has been sitting for a few months but with Sept right around the corner I best get busy.  When finished this quilt will be a king size quilt.  I have the border left to put on then I need to get busy and quilt it.  Lucky for me my blog hop day is not until the end of Sept.  

I am adding the Island Batik Ambassadors just in case you want to go by and visit.





6 comments:

KaHolly said...

As always, your work is delightful! I've blanket stitched through all layers on a few small pieces and have loved the effect.

beaquilter said...

Great looking quilt

Gene Black said...

I love the flip and sew strips around your 'quilt bee' - that fabric is so gorgeous.

Annie said...

The bumblebee quilt is adorable. Quilt as you go is a technique I haven't done for quite some time. It's fun to know the quilting can be called done at the same time the piecing is done. The umbrellas are so cute. Looking forward to seeing this new quilt you are working on.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I love your bee. I like the illusion that it is a rectangle instead of square.

I think you might be cutting it a bit close for the September hop lol. Sounds like you might work better under a tight deadline.

Terry said...

I've always wanted to try quilt as you go but I never have.