Saturday, April 22, 2017

ASSISTED LIVING QUILT


A while back I was trying to think of something to do with the ladies at the Assisted Living (still would like some ideas).

As I mentioned before, they have an auction twice a year.

The auction is next week.

The last auction I donated a panel quilt which went for 270 dollars (paper money they earn through out the year at bingo and various activities).

My mother was so excited and proud and I really wanted to do another one but this time I involved the ladies from the Assisted Living.




I have an iron on transfer book (really out dated as far as pictures but it works).

Kathy, the director of activities, told me to expect maybe 10 people.

I made enough for 15 just in case.

I had about eight  show up and a few just sat there.



                                         I think this lady did a fabulous job on the bird house.


This one lady was so sweet, she said she would give it a try but she couldn't see....I came home and tweeked it a bit.



                                                      This flower pot my mother did.



                                              I really like this one, I don't know why but I do.


This lady sat by me and was so sweet.  I enjoyed talking to her and the other ladies.

We did this yesterday, the auction is Tuesday so I came home and began constructing this quilt because who knows what tomorrow brings and I just gotta get ur done!!

What amazes me, usually when I am rushed things happen, needles break, thread breaks, have to rip something out but things went smoothly......and I am surprised but happy surprised.

So if any of you have any ideas of what activities that might be fun for these ladies, please comment.

My mother is leaving assisted living and is going to reside in a small trailer next to our house but I still want to do something with these ladies.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm sure this was a very fulfilling project for you, Barb. You said the transfers were out of date but the ladies are surely seniors, and I think they are perfect. Putting them into a quilt will be so impressive to them. It looks great!

onlymehere said...

Barb, this is a wonderful idea. My mother-in-law and father-in-law are in a nursing home right now but she'll be heading to assisted living as soon as he passes (time is very short). I hope that she gets involved in their craft group that's there. This gives me an idea that I can do a quilt she colors and maybe have a drawing at a family reunion for who receives it. I love how much you care for these ladies.

julieQ said...

Awesome quilt, made by many...lovely!

QuiltShopGal said...

How wonderful of you to do this. I'm sure those that attended really enjoyed this project and it will be a very popular item at the auction. For ideas, I think you are looking for creative type projects to do with the ladies? How about gathering old magazines which they can go thru to cut out pictures, colors, textures and having them use a glue stick to adhere to card stock? You could pick themes (e.g. words/expressions, seasonal artwork, entertainment, gardens, etc) and they could display the finished artwork in their room, or maybe make it into a greeting card to send, or giveaway.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Joanna said...

That is a charming quilt. All of you did a beautiful work on this project.

Katie said...

What a sweet quilt and I'm sure the ladies had fun helping as well as just socializing (I think there are at least a few members of my quilt guild who are members more for the kinship than the quilting). I don't have any activity suggestions, but maybe the ladies will?

Ariane said...

What a great idea to make a quilt with blocks the ladies coloured! It's a beautiful quilt!

KaHolly said...

I commend you for continuing to show your support to these lady! How nice your mom can come live right near you! Good luck with that! This quilt came out so cute! They will be tickled pink when that see it finished. XO

Jocelyn said...

What a wonderful way to involve the ladies. So sorry they did not all participate. I know when my hubbys aunt was in assisted living, there wasn't much she was interested in doing. She never did any crafts. So don't be discouraged. They just enjoy having someone to visit with them

Gene Black said...

I wish I had some great ideas for you, but I am blank on this.

Needled Mom said...

This is such a great project, Barb. It's fun for them and goes to a wonderful cause. I hope it makes a lot of money.

Wacky Woman said...

My granddaughter works weekends at an Assisted Living Care place in Florida. I'm going to forward this blog to her Barb. Maybe she could start something there. She brings her little dog with her from time to time for hugs and pats.