Sunday, September 28, 2014

OOOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...SOMEONE DID NOT PAY ENOUGH ATTENTION IN MATH CLASS

NOT ONE!!!



But TWO  (this one is not ironed)


I say, I say, OOOOOOOOOOOPSSSS!!

Have any of you ever done this?  I even drew it out on paper...went looking for my crude  drawing but couldn't find it.

As you can see, these are only half square triangles.  EASY!!!!

You can use one charm pack of white for this and then depending on what you want your dominate colors but for the sake of a picture.  In this picture the dominate color is gray...so you will need 24 five inch squares and 16 yellow.  
Mark a diagonal line across the back of each white and then just sew 1/4 from the line on each side of it and then cut down the line.  Giving you two blocks...yep this is where I messed up....I counted the squares I needed and then skipped over the fact that when you place the two squares together and sew and cut you have two squares instead of one..thus giving me double the blocks.  Am I making sense or just driving you batty?

This makes a 34" x 42" baby quilt and if you want to make it larger, just add borders.  I think I am going to pass on the borders.  I have a cute backing I want to make and will show that to you when I am done.


This is the family block this month....no dimensions....I was so afraid to do this one but once I got going it took no time at all.


20 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Well it took me a minute....kept looking for a mistake on the tops but there were none. Then it dawned on me that you meant to make only one. :) blessings, marlene

paulette said...

I love it when this happen...you end up with TWO gorgeous quilts!! A win-win!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Remember Karma AND Poolside AND Oasis -- same kind of mathematical mistakes led to not one, but THREE quilts! (reveal for Oasis on Monday)

onlymehere said...

A quilt for you and one to give as a gift...nothing wrong with that! Math class...my nemesis this semester, lol!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Not an oops! You now have a spare. :-) Cute quilts!

Mystica said...

I was also looking for the mistake!

Barbara said...

A surprise! Nice when this happens...

SewCalGal said...

Pretty cool to get two quilts out of what was one project. :) I once made a quilt with, intending to use up some stash, which had an easy nine-patch block. Besides making a kingsize quilt, I think I made a queen and a twin all based from the original mad dash of making 9 patch blocks. ....which did turn out to be a fast way to use up some fabric.



SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

suemac said...

That is so funny. Thanks for making my day.

Teresa in Music City said...

Math is definitely NOT my strong suit either, but at least you erred on the side of having too much instead of not enough! You gave me a good chuckle!!!

QuiltSue said...

No that wasn't a mistake, you did it on purpose cos sooner or later you just know you'll need the other one!

KaHolly said...

You crack me up!! It gets scary sometimes, doesn't it?

sajuki said...

great !
Greetings from Poland :)
Katarzyna

www.sajuki.blogspot.com

Gene Black said...

You could have made it a two-sided quilt since you already have two tops made......

Lynn said...

That's not a mistake, it's a "bonus quilt!"

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Been there, done that!!! They are really cute!!

Wacky Woman said...

Works for me!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I have done that, not once, not twice, but many time. Don't they say two is better than one! N

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I like your math....you get two quilts....where is the problem?

Smiles,
Kelly

Snoodles said...

Fabulous mistake! Two for the effort of one! Voila! You are amazing, my friend!