Friday, September 19, 2014

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR!!

This is what I am working on today.  Just got it pinned, now ready to quilt.



I know you are asking me what does this quilt and me quilting today have to do with war.

I remember growing up at the tail end of the hippie era, wasn't old enough for Woodstock but young enough to wear bell bottoms (ha!!).

Well...I have a son visiting.  He is in the army and I am afraid he will soon have to go to Iraq or Afghanistan much to my displeasure.  I do keep thinking of all the wives out there who have children that will be missing their fathers and so to comfort myself I say....he only has me to be sad he is gone, I don't have children at home missing their dad.  Oh, I am sure there are family members that will be sad and will worry but right now it is all about ME!!  One minute they are babes in your arms and the next they are grown and going to war.  Why not make love instead of war.  I say put some of us moms at the head of this country (Hillary doesn't count)...and we can send everyone to their own corners and not come out until they are happy.  Don't ya wish it was that easy.

So....he is outside with his dad and I am going to get me some quilting time.  YEA me!!


12 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I have to agree. It is so sad that women have to send their men to war. Hugs

hetty said...

I hear ya, Barb. If women ran the world things would be different.

Marie said...

I hear you Barb and you know we share a lot of the same experiences, prayers for your son and for you and your family. Hugs, Marie

Susan said...

Amen! My son served in the Marine Corps for 10 years and spent 3 of those years in Iraq, so I know what you are going through. Sending my prayers for protection to your son and prayers of peace and comfort to you.

Needled Mom said...

It is especially hard these days, Barb. I'll be thinking about you and keeping all of you in my prayers.

SewCalGal said...

As they say "Quilters are the Piecemakers". It is sad for any family member (mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, wife, son, or daughter) to have to endure the stress and anxiety of having their loved one go off to a war zone. And friends also worry dearly. Your son will certainly be in my heart and prayers. Big hug,

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

onlymehere said...

As I read this I couldn't help but think that if you had a mom who had experience making due with a skimpy food budget, yet her meals tasted fabulous, then she could certainly manage the budget and get the country fiscally sound again! We always keep the members of the military in our prayers. They're doing such a difficult job so that we an all enjoy the freedoms that we have. Love the quilt too Barb.

Gene Black said...

I agree Barb, war is never the answer. Love is always the answer.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Hippies had some sound ideas. This is definitely one

KaHolly said...

Amen!

Teresa in Music City said...

I loved wearing bell bottoms!!!! And they had to be hip-huggers too of course :) I understand your concerns about your son - totally! I remember my relief when I finally realized my son would never be drafted and have to go to a battlefield! I honestly don't know how mothers stand it! But thankfully today most of our sons come home. Your son has an excellent chance of serving overseas and coming home more experienced and better able to handle his world!

Suzanne said...

Currently, I only have one nephew in the Air Force, but I still worry about everyone else's son/husband. I will be a Hippie till the day I die!