Friday, August 22, 2014

GETTING SIDE TRACKED!

I recently had a gal email me a few pictures of some quilts she wanted made for her children.  No pattern just pictures.

This is the first one I came up with and I have to say, this was soooooooooooooooooooooooo fun.  I think the reason it was fun because it showcases the fabrics...and we all know how much we love fabric...and it is pink.

 Here is the other one.  The top is finished now but it is not in this picture.  I just put a border on it of 3 inches.  In the picture it  looks like it has 1 1/2" borders.    She wanted the girls to have matching fabrics.

To be honest, I would have already had these done but I got a free book on my kindle "The Key" by Jennifer Anne Davis.  Oh my gosh, I read the first book and had to have the second and then the third.  It is
The True Reign Series."  
As you can tell I have not been very productive lately.
I know the way Amazon gets you to purchase books is to give you the first book of a series free...usually I just read the first book and that is that (call me cheap...call me whatever) but this time I just had to have the other two.
  I think there may be two questionable parts but to be honest I just flipped the page before it gave me a chance to see if it really was questionable. 
 I know....call me a prude...or a cheap prude but I don't like the authors invading my mind (personal space) with cheap trash. 
 It is a shame because I will be reading a good book and along comes a part that truly didn't even make the book any better but just invaded my space....I always flip through it but now if it even starts to suggest something I am outta there.
I also have been getting books from "The midst" but I have found that most of them are romance novels and to be honest (wow...I am so honest today).  I don't like cheap romance.  I am a historical fiction type a gal.  

Today I am going to be productive....HA!!!!  

15 comments:

Terry said...

Great quilts! I'm the same way with books...give me a good, clean regency romance and I'm a happy camper! :0)

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love both of your quilts. I'm partial to pink! I'm currently making an all pink strip quilt (with touches of green). I didn't realize I had so many scraps of pink fabrics! I love the patterns you have chosen. So cute. About that book...is it a mystery?

beaquilter said...

I listen to audio books and I've run into either nudity suddenly or cussing and I'd be listening or the kids walk in to talk to me- not cool at all.... you just never know

Scrappy quilter said...

Historical fiction here too all the way

Jean said...

They are both cute! love the pinkness! I love the free books from Amazon too, and try to stick with the freebies too.

Annie said...

Both quilts are just adorable! I love the stripes most, but that's just cause I love stripes in general. I suppose Kindle is nice, but I gotta have a real book in my hands for reading. Luckily for retail we all like things differently. LoL

Unknown said...

I am with you. Give me a good mystery without the filth and trash. I choose not to pollute my mind with garbage.

Unknown said...

Love the adorable quilts...great colors! I too have noticed that kindle does a great first of a series book and then you get hooked and buy the rest. I do a lot of skipping over the mushy stuff myself.

Teresa in Music City said...

I love your positive statement that today you are going to be productive!!! I think I'll join you! First off, I'm getting some blog reading done - it has been shamefully neglected of late :) I know what you mean about cheap stuff thrown into an otherwise really good story - just puts me off too! I used to read a lot of romance back in my 20's but I can't stand it today. Love historicals so long as they aren't just a cover for a cheap romance :) I'm off to check out The Key.... Oh yeah - almost forgot! Those little girlie quilts are simple adorable!

suemac said...

I am a mystery gal myself.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Cute quilts Barb...and thanks for the tip on the book. I don't normally like historical or science fiction but I take all recommendations. When my daughter told me to read Twilight I thought she was crazy but I loved it so much I read the whole series and saw all the movies. :) blessings, marlene

Needled Mom said...

I'm not the romance book type either.

Your quilts look like fun and they turned out so cute.

Wacky Woman said...

I love your girlie pink quilts!

KaHolly said...

Thanks for the suggestion on books. Am always looking for good stories, esp. when they go on and on and on! Hope you have a productive day as planned!

Kate said...

Hello, I have not long been following blogs and just found you today. I do like your quilts and your writing style, to top it off you read historical fiction. I have been quilting for about ten years, am taking time out to reduce the UFOs and will never make another Baltimore quilt. If you like historical fiction you must have read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander (Crosstitch in the UK). It has now been made into a TV series which started this month although, annoyingly not here even though the first book was set and filmed in Scotland. Later books are set in France and the USA. Now I will go check out your recommendation. Looking forward to your next blog.